You’ve decided that 2022 is the year you’ll be selling your house in San Francisco. Timing is everything when it comes to a home sale, and it’s never too early to start planning. Here are five ways to get started:
1. Decide what stays and what goes. You probably won’t want to take everything with you, so it’s a good time to start labeling what stays and what items will go where. Take advantage of services like Remoov.
2. Consult with your CPA and financial advisor. It’s a good idea to know what taxes you can expect to pay, as well as get professional advice on how to handle sale profits.
3. Figure out your destination details and financing. Moving within San Francisco, or out of state? Now is a good time to decide where you’ll go. Research things like temporary rental costs or area preferences. This can sometimes involve a few trips back and forth if you’re moving to a new city. It’s also a good time to talk with a lender with respect to what property you may be purchasing next.
4. Get a sense for your property’s value and selling costs. Consult with your Realtor to find out your home’s value range and your expected selling costs. Don’t just run your address through Redfin or another online value estimator and call it a day. San Francisco is by no means a cookie-cutter town, and the devil is truly in the details when it comes to value estimates.
5. Discuss your potential move-out timeframe with your Realtor. Many activities go into selling a home, and your Realtor should be in the mix so you can do so in the most advantageous way possible. Many tradespeople, stagers and other pre-sale professionals book up early in the high seasons of Spring and Fall. And there are certain times of year that aren’t as desirable for others when it comes to the available buyer pool and achieving multiple-offer prospects. Hash out these details with your agent so you can set up a strategy and have a successful sale.